Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Carpet for the upstairs

So, as outlined in the recent upstairs tour of the house, we had to remove the hallway and guest bedroom carpet since they got soaked in the flood.
We threw around the idea of putting in hardwood floors in the hallway and then just new carpet in the guest bedroom and the new bedroom that was created out of the bonus room, but I really like the softness and quietness of carpet with kids running around.
(especially because they fall down, and because the hallway includes the stairway, the idea of them falling down on hardwood stairs just hurt my momma heart)
We weren't really planning on replacing carpet anytime soon as it had been in pretty good shape for being almost 20 years old, but having a transition from new hallway carpet to old carpet in some of the bedrooms would be new carpet throughout the upstairs (5 bedrooms, two hallways, and the stairs) was the conclusion.

Last Friday was the installation day.

We pulled out the carpet ourselves for a couple reasons. One, to save money, but a bigger reason was so that we would have time to find and secure the insane amount of squeaks.

 {whoever installed the carpet left razor blades and cigarette butts underneath, charming}

 {we moved all of our furniture into other rooms, bathroom seen here}

 {carpet pad down}

...and new carpet, hooray!

It's so soft and comfy.

I'll leave you with a picture of a cute baby, which also happens to be a close up of the carpet pattern/colors. 

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Downstairs: Flood Damage Edition

I showed you our torn apart upstairs yesterday, today is the downstairs.
As with the upstairs, the last time we took a tour was June.

 We'll start at the front door. Back in June...

...and now
{oh that yellow needs to be painted over. But it's low on long list of priorities}


On the other side of the entry, dining room. June:


{one coat of paint away from being done on the walls. carpets got wet in the flood and we're replacing them with hardwoods}

Living room in June: 

and now:
 the kitchen in June:

and now:
 one step forward, two back.
I had patched the ceiling and installed another light fixture, now we need a BIG patch on the ceiling and to have part of the hardwoods replaced (they've buckled from being wet) and all the floor sanded down and refinished. The bad news, it's a lot of work. The good news, it's going to look so much better in a dark brown stain instead of the honey.
Thank goodness for home insurance, this would have been a doozy to swallow after already paying to replace the roof within the last year.

This is the getup they used to dry out the floors.

And then here's the extent of the damage to the drywall in the garage.

We should make some significant headway on the repairs in the next week or so.
Drywallers are this week and new carpet throughout the upstairs is on the horizon also.

Oh, and here's a room downstairs that I always forget to show.
It's our gym that is off of our garage:

Friday, January 16, 2015

Upstairs: Mid Construction/Flood Damage Edition

Where to start, where to start...
Well, the last upstairs tour was way back in June.
Since then we've started a remodel project turning the bonus room into a bedroom, bathroom, and hallway.
Also, while we were away for they baby blessing in December, a toilet supply line decided to spring a leak and so we came back to a flood.
Our house is a wreck.

Let's share that wreck publicly shall we?
I guess the worse it is now the more spectacular the after comparison will be?

I guess I will start with the bathroom the water was leaking in:

In June:

We've taken out the half wall and moved the toilet, making this a dual vanity area.

{so in the middle of construction}

I wasn't planning on replacing the tile in this room, but the tile bed got thoroughly soaked and the company our insurance called in to dry everything out ripped it out to dry the sub floor.
So I've installed wood looking tile, still need to grout. 

Back in the June tour I showed this vanity alcove in our guest bedroom:

We've since closed in the opening on the bedroom side...

...and that's where the toilet moved to (access to it is from an existing doorway in the bathroom)

 {vanity alcove turned toilet room, needing drywall repair}

As you could see from that bedroom picture, this (from June)...

...turned into this
{carpet removed due to flooding}

The hallway also had to have it's carpet removed...

Clever. To help make sure the walls were dry, they took baseboards off , put holes above the sill plates, and had high powered fans circulating the air for a few days.
Put new baseboards up and you cover all the damage.

The bonus room looked like this in June:

and now it's this hallway...

...this bathroom...

...and this small bedroom.

As for the rest of the upstairs, the party room hasn't changed...

...we switched Des and Evie's room. So what looked like this... looks like this...

...and what looked like this... looks like this...

 And lastly, in the master suite we've just added baby paraphernalia...

 ...and to emphasize that I have the ripped apart, I also have removed the wallpaper in our bathroom. So it went from this... this. Still need to fix and paint the walls.

So, the next post will cover the current downstairs tour (also flood damaged), and then hopefully we can start making some serious progress on putting stuff back together again.

I love a good project, but there's just a bit too much going on for my liking at the moment.
I'm so excited to see it when it's done though, it looks really awesome in my head :)

where you readers come from