Monday, June 15, 2009

Nice weather and a cool new website

Ever since it started getting warmer here, we've been going to the gym less and exercising outside instead. In the past we have never run together because I tend to run quicker and longer than Carmen. We've tried biking together, but she likes to go slower than me so as to not miss looking at everything she passes. We've found an excellent compromise though. I run, and she bikes alongside of me.

We have been going on a particular loop through our neighborhood, but I've had a hard time figuring out exactly how far it is (I know, I could just get in the car and watch the odometer...it's just not a route that I ever really take while in the car). As great as Google maps is, it doesn't have anything to be able to map out short distances that are really round-about ways of getting from point A to point A (at least, not that I've been able to see). So imagine how excited I was when I came across www.mapmyrun.com. On this site, you can map out where you've gone and it will tell you how far it was. I'm going to have to play around on here some more, but so far it's exactly what I was looking for. Pretty cool stuff. Tonight, I ran 5.15 miles in about 44 minutes while Carmen finished up a recent project. I won't spoil the surprise, but she is very pleased with her handiwork, and I like it too.

2 comments:

Sharee said...

Thanks for this post - I have had the EXACT same issues with finding out distance - we are SO going to use this. Can't wait to see the project Carmen!

Unknown said...

I signed up for MapMyRun a few weeks ago after hearing about it on Lifehacker, but I haven't used it much yet. It sounds like I need to try it out.

where you readers come from