Monday, June 22, 2009

2 things...

Grr....Blogger is good about saving things while you write them...except for this time. The laptop got unplugged without me noticing until it was too late (the battery only lasts like 30 seconds).

Anyways...I recently read a good book: Panic: The Story of Modern Financial Insanity edited by Michael Lewis (the same guy who brought us such classics as Liar's Poker and Moneyball). It's a pretty good compilation of articles about and from around the times of a few major market catastrophes (October 1987, The Asian Currency Crisis, The fall of Long-term Capital Management, the Internet bubble, and the most recent market drop, which may be too young to have a name, but it will probably have the word 'subprime' in it.). One article I liked was this one by Michael Lewis for Bloomberg in 2007 called "A Wall Street Trader Draws Some Subprime Lessons". Please don't read this if you don't have a sense of humor. Also, if you wonder what his definition of 'poor' is, it's pretty much anyone who doesn't meet these requirements. I got a kick out of the article, enjoy.

On an unrelated note, tonight we went out for a run (just over 4 miles in case you care). I'm getting ready for my first 10k later this year. The finish line is in The Big House on the 50-yard line. Pretty cool, eh?. Anyways...have you ever been running, biking, etc. and run into a cloud of gnats and swallowed one? Yeah, I would have preferred that to what happened tonight. I totally had a bug fly right into my eye! I kept running, and thought I had gotten it out because it stopped hurting. When we got back in the house, Carmen looked at me and got totally grossed out...it was still in my eyeball!!! It wasn't the biggest bug around, but it wasn't exactly a gnat either. Anyways, we got it out, but it was stuck in there pretty good, so much so that my eyeball is a little sore from all the poking and prodding required to get it out. No worries for the squeamish, pictures are not forthcoming (nor did we take any), just thought I would share.

No comments:

where you readers come from