Sunday, July 8, 2007

Demolition Derby

Last night, I got introduced to the classic redneck sport of demolition derby. Carmen's sister works at the ticket office and scored us some tickets. We didn't realize how good of tickets they were until we were shown our seats. Front row, 50 yard line seats. We were so close, I got hit by dirt spun off from the tires! We didn't bring our regular camera, so you'll have to settle for a camera phone picture.
This is one of the cars that lost. It was the Gumby car and there is a cut-out of Gumby on the roof. Strangely enough, there are cars that got beat up worse that this one that made it further. This guy was doing really good, but got slammed into the barricade so hard it knocked it over and crunched his tires so bad they wouldn't spin any more. I've never seen anyone abuse a car so bad, and keep on going. They have fluid draining all over the place, parts falling off, etc. This picture was taken after the "main event" from where we were seated. After each round, they have a few dozen people walk the course to get rid of stray car parts, and they take the losers away either with a tow truck or a forklift.

This picture is just one I found online, but the one we were at was almost as big. There were a few thousand people there and about 25 different cars. I had a really good time and wouldn't be opposed to going again (so long as I don't have to go to a rodeo, that would be lame). I didn't quite know what to expect, but I think Jann summed it all up when she leaned to me after the first heat and said "you are now officially trailer trash"

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Yeehaw!!!!!!

John and Katie said...

Looks like I95 at rush hour!

where you readers come from